Thursday, June 28, 2012

A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE

'I THINK I AM TOO PLAIN FOR BOLLYWOOD': PERIZAD ZORABIAN




BY ADIL RASHEED (Staff Reporter) / 29 January 2005

Perizad Zorabian calls herself an unrealistic person. Small wonder! For an elfish creature like her can hardly be realistic.
So even if this svelte and sensational star of Jogger's Park declines more offers than she accepts at the early stage of her acting career it is perfectly understandable. After all, the laws of reason do not apply to ethereal beings.
Meanwhile, some of Perizad's admirers in Dubai got lucky when the lady turned up in red at the premiere of the Hindi movie Padamshree Laloo Prasad Yadav, which was held in the city last week. City Times got this bright and rising star to take time off for a chat.
What brings you to Dubai right now?
I am part of the Global Indian Film Awards (GIFA). The event is being televised and the whole approach is to discover GIFA and Dubai for everyone in India through me. It is a very exciting thing because I am going to be having fun and let my hair down and the camera will be following me everywhere I go.
We are all waiting for your next movie after Jogger's Park. It has been quite some time now?
I am a very unrealistic person. I only do films that I believe in. I don't know whether the strategy is going to work or not but I want to be known as an actress. Even if I do ten films by the end of my career, they should be ten solid films, ten great performances. There is a film called Morning Raga that came after Jogger's Park.
It released a month ago but it has not been released internationally. It has got me a lot of critical acclaim. I have just completed shooting for the film Devaki and a British film with Malcolm McDowell. I have two Hindi films whose production starts next month.
Some critics say you are too beautifully un-Indian for Bollywood?
Am I too beautiful? I don't think so (laughs). I don't think there is anything too beautiful for Bollywood. In fact, I think I am too plain for Bollywood. I am definitely not very Indian looking. I don't fit the stereotype.
Do you think Bollywood is growing out of its fixation for stereotypes.
I am so grateful to Bollywood that it is mature enough to pick someone like me for playing a leading lady in a movie. This wouldn't have happened five years ago. So it is a great sign. And for me to be part of the GIFA and be part of the mega event is also a sign of accepting unconventional people. I want to salute and thank Bollywood for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment